Growing up in Brazil, figs were a part of our culture. I always remember when going to family gatherings or visiting friends and they would sometimes have a fig desert. The funny part was, I never ate it because I never liked figs. But after seeing the great benefits, I decided to give them another shot. I also wanted to try them because the figs here in the U.S. are slightly different than the ones we have in Brazil. I bought organic figs from Trader Joes and it took me a while to take the first bite. How good it was!!! Maybe my taste buds changed through the years, I guess. I’m happy because now I will buy them often, AND it is fig season!
For this recipe you will need:
- 4 figs
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1-2 bananas (I used one)
- 2 dates
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut water (add more or less, depending on what consistency you like best)
Tip: Add ice cubes in it. I didn’t add any to mine so it was a bit room temperature even though the coconut water was refrigerated.
Blend it all together in your high speed blender (I used my Vitamix) and pour it into your favorite cup. This smoothie is so sweet, so delicious, and super healthy too!
Benefits of figs:
- It’s a super fruit
- From the mull berry family
- Helps lower blood pressure due to potassium
- Helps to loose weight due to high fiber
- Protects against post menopausal breast cancer
- The leaves of the fig have repeatedly been shown to have anti diabetic properties and can actually reduce the amount of insulin needed by persons with diabetes who require insulin injections.
- Lowers levels of Triglycerides
- Protects against macular degeneration
Enjoy your figs with this amazing recipe!
See you next time!