So I debated sharing this, but I thought what I learned from it could help others too.
About two weeks ago, my external hard drive with all of my photos on it, DIED. I had been meaning to back up everything onto another one and even online, but I didn’t do it. I was too busy. It made me cry crocodile tears and it felt like someone important to me had died. All of my work, as well as my memories, were gone. Just days before this happened, I had asked God to help me with letting go. To just stop me from thinking that I had everything in control. I am always so uptight and it was beginning to show.
So. What did I learn? Most importantly, God didn’t make my hard drive die. He wouldn’t do that to me. My work and my memories are important to Him. Since I learned quite a few things, here is a list:
- God uses circumstances that occur, outside of His control, to show us how He is going to help.
- Life still goes on when we loose our STUFF.
- Printing and framing your photographs is pretty important, even though it is tedious.
- We improve even though it doesn’t feel like it sometimes. 10 years ago I would have stopped taking pictures all together if this happened. Today, I am still snapping away despite my situation.
- I feel more determined and confident in my photography because it took loosing my work to value it more.
- Sometimes learning to let go only happens when you are forced into it.
- Loosing pictures or possessions isn’t the end of the world, it’s not like someone close died.
- God sometimes intervenes before we actually need the help, by preparing us for the struggle.
- Faith takes letting go completely in SO many different areas that I never knew about.
Thankfully I have one more try at recovering these images. I found a company that charges a flat rate for retrieving photos and so I just have to send it in when I am ready to spend the money. Faith is a funny thing. That is really what this is all about. We can use all sorts of religious words to describe faith, but in the end it isn’t till we have to jump into it that we fully understand what it can do for us. Faith doesn’t get us into Heaven, like some might think. It just sets us free, cause honestly, we really don’t have control over much.
Here is an awesome quote I found on the internet:
“Let God have your life; He can do more with it than you can.” – Dwight L. Moody