People sometimes wonder what the reason is for constipation. Lack of fiber is one of the reasons. It’s not easy at times to eat a special diet full of vegetables, fruits, and good healthy fluids (water, coconut water, green juices, nut milk). As a nurse it makes me sad that many of my patients are on stool softeners and laxatives all because many of them don’t eat properly. Cleaning your colon is so important. Bowel movements should happen every day and some specialists believe twice a day. Many people, women primarily, have issues with bloating, etc. A lot of the foods we eat are mostly fillers and don’t really help us. We pick convenience but sometimes that comes at a price. Making juices and smoothies aren’t always easy, but they benefit my body so amazing that the last thing I think about is the hard work.
This smoothie that I am sharing today is by someone I really admire, Yovana Mendoza, a Mexican raw vegan. This colon cleansing smoothie not only helps move your bowels, but it clarifies the mind as well.
- 2 cups of orange juice
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 4 cups of spinach
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 head of lettuce
- juice of 1 lemon
Blend it all in a high speed blender (I used the Vitamix).
This smoothie is very tasty, refreshing, and full of fiber which helps with your digestion. Moving the bowels on a regular basis will help decrease your abdomen and constipation. It will make your skin clear and improves your energy.
Benefits of fiber:
- blood sugar control
- weight management
- improves digestion, heart, and skin health
- decreases risk for stroke
- may lower hemorrhoids
- decreases risk of gallstones, and kidney stones
- relieves you from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)
- reduces the risk of diverticulitis
Remember to eat at least 50g of fiber per 1000 calories consumed! Most Americans don’t get even close to that. Enjoy this amazing smoothie, I sure will!
Until next time!
This is one of the easiest energy smoothies bowls to make and is super delicious. I love this smoothie because it’s packed with antioxidants, potassium, protein, fiber, and much more. This is the perfect pre or post workout smoothie bowl. It will give you energy, satisfies the cravings, and is light in your stomach, getting your digestive system working in a proper manner. I love smoothie bowls, and I hope you can fall in love with this easy recipe.
Add into your high speed blender (I used the Vitamix) the following:
- handful of blackberries (about 10-15)
- handful of raspberries (about 10-15)
- handful of blueberries (about 10-15)
- 2 strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1 scoop of Sun Warrior protein-powder chocolate flavor (vegan protein powder)
- 1 tbsp of flax seeds
- 1 tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 cup of rice milk (You can use your favorite nut milk as well. I used rice milk because it was the only milk available in my fridge, but it tastes delicious! If you never have had rice milk, it’s very thin, very light, and it tastes really delicious. You can find it in the nut milk fridge isle of your supermarket. The brand I used is “Rice Dream”.)
- ice to taste if you like it chilled ( I did not add the ice, but I would add at least 1-2 ice cubes)
Blend it all together until smooth. You will see it turn into a purple or maroon color, with kind of a mildly thick consistency. Pour it into your favorite bowl.
Add your favorite topping ingredients. I added the following this time:
- coconut flakes
- cocoa nibs
This smoothie bowl is so creamy, so delicious, so colorful, packed with vitamins, and super tasty too! Hope you can enjoy this as your breakfast, your pre or post work out, or even maybe your lunch or dinner. It is a delicious meal for real!
If you would like to try some other recipes, I have a Papaya Smoothie Bowl and Purple Granola Bowl recipe that you should try!
Until next time!
This new smoothie is fantastic! Perfect for the holidays, since it contains many of the ingredients people use to bake this time of the year such as apple and cinnamon. This smoothie is perfect for fighting cravings this time of the year as well since we are all looking forward to eating a lot! I know Thanksgiving was just last week and so we indulged ourselves on the best foods in our home with family or friends. However, we still have Christmas coming up. As a Brazilian, I celebrate Christmas twice. Christmas Eve which is a tradition we celebrate with my family on December 24 and then Christmas Day with my husband, who’s American, and his family. This means we have two back to back delicious holiday meals. Although I love the holiday food, I do love to take care of what I put in my body. This smoothie is the perfect smoothie to remind you of the holidays, fight cravings, reduce belly fat, stabilize blood sugar, and is also rich in fiber.
In your high-speed blender (I either use the Vitamix or the Ninja for this) add:
- 3/4 to 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 apple, chopped, skin included (I like using a Granny Smith apple for its health benefits more than any other apple, preferably organic)
Blend it all together until smooth, add ice for a cooler taste.
Some of the benefits of apple cider vinegar:
- clears acne and balances the pH of your skin
- boosts energy since it is rich in Potassium and enzymes that relieve that tired feeling
- helps control blood sugar
- aides against bad breath
Some benefits of cinnamon:
- helps treat muscle spasms
- the common cold
- lowers blood sugar in people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- helps to prevent Alzheimer’s disease
- can potentially be effective against HIV
- aides in learning abilities
This smoothie is so good, that I have been making it almost every day. I hope you get to try it and love it just as much as I do. Ps: Don’t be sacred to the apple cider vinegar. It does
Ps: Don’t be scared of the apple cider vinegar. It does give a little taste but does not overpower the smoothie. Also, there are so many other fantastic health benefits that this vinegar has that I will have to share that another time.
Until next time!
Chia seeds are one of my all times favorite ingredients for my smoothies bowls, and my protein shakes. Although they have a funny consistency after they are soaked, they are excellent for our bodies. They are full of nutrients that benefit the body and brain. Here is one of my top smoothies that I make in the morning for breakfast. It’s very easy to make. Are you ready?
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 8oz of coconut water
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP Almond Butter
- handful of spinach
- 2 to 3 ice cubes
Blend it all together in your high speed blender (I either use the Vitamix or the Ninja) and enjoy!
This smoothie is packed with protein which is great for a pre or post work out and fiber helping with bowel movements.
Benefits of Chia seeds:
- helps lower blood pressure
- helps lower cholesterol levels
- helps lower the risk of diabetes
- prevents constipation since is loaded with fiber
- rich in Omega-3s helping decrease the risk of thrombosis, arrhythmias.
- helps in loosing weight
- rich in antioxidants
- rich in Calcium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Manganese, Copper, Iron, Niacin, Zinc and Molybdenum
I hope you enjoy making this wonderful and tasteful smoothie. I love it, and hope you do too.
Until next time.
Protein shakes? No more after this super delicious protein shake! I bought my first ever protein powder the other day. Since I’m a vegetarian now (I have been for the past 3 years) it’s always good to have some healthy protein in my body. You don’t need animal protein to have protein. There are so many good kinds of protein. Protein is in all of our fruits, vegetables, and nuts! This shake is protein from start to end. Wonderful for your pre or post workout.
- 2 cups of almond milk or your favorite non-dairy milk (I made my own almond milk, non-sweet)
- 2 dates to make it sweet (optional, but makes it very tasty)
- 1 banana preferably if frozen (leave it in a zip-lock bag and let it sit in the fridge for about 2 hours, or just leave it there for your next shake or frozen desert)
- a dash of Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon of raw organic cocoa powder
- last but not least, Sun Warrior Protein Powder chocolate flavored (Sun Warrior is a vegan protein powder. I bought it at Whole Foods for $45.00, but you can add any protein of your choice)
- optional: add ice to taste if you like it cold, or if your banana is not frozen.
Blend it all in your high-speed blender, (I either use the Vitamix or the Ninja), and pour it in your workout cup or you can also have it as a breakfast smoothie bowl, too, by adding your favorite ingredients. That’s what I call a breakfast!
Benefits of protein:
- Hair and nail are made of protein and your body uses protein to build and repair tissues.
- It is important for making enzymes, hormones, and other important chemicals. bones, muscle, cartilage, skin and blood
- Needed to nourish the bones, muscle, cartilage, skin and blood
Hope you enjoy this wonderful protein and super healthy and delicious shake!
Until next time!
Growing up in Brazil, figs were a part of our culture. I always remember when going to family gatherings or visiting friends and they would sometimes have a fig desert. The funny part was, I never ate it because I never liked figs. But after seeing the great benefits, I decided to give them another shot. I also wanted to try them because the figs here in the U.S. are slightly different than the ones we have in Brazil. I bought organic figs from Trader Joes and it took me a while to take the first bite. How good it was!!! Maybe my taste buds changed through the years, I guess. I’m happy because now I will buy them often, AND it is fig season!
For this recipe you will need:
- 4 figs
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1-2 bananas (I used one)
- 2 dates
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut water (add more or less, depending on what consistency you like best)
Tip: Add ice cubes in it. I didn’t add any to mine so it was a bit room temperature even though the coconut water was refrigerated.
Blend it all together in your high speed blender (I used my Vitamix) and pour it into your favorite cup. This smoothie is so sweet, so delicious, and super healthy too!
Benefits of figs:
- It’s a super fruit
- From the mull berry family
- Helps lower blood pressure due to potassium
- Helps to loose weight due to high fiber
- Protects against post menopausal breast cancer
- The leaves of the fig have repeatedly been shown to have anti diabetic properties and can actually reduce the amount of insulin needed by persons with diabetes who require insulin injections.
- Lowers levels of Triglycerides
- Protects against macular degeneration
Enjoy your figs with this amazing recipe!
See you next time!
Such an easy recipe this one! If you like strawberries like I do, you will love this! This smoothie is sweet, refreshing, and totally delicious too. You will need very few ingredients that I’m pretty sure you can find in your home.
- 1-2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup of fresh strawberries (preferably organic, if not, wash your strawberries really well)
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of coconut milk or any other nut milk of your preference (I used coconut for this recipe)
- optional: 1 tbsp of hemp seeds or some cashews to add protein (I used cashews this time, but I’ve used hemp seeds in the past, it tastes just as good)
- add ice to taste ( I added 2 ice cubes. Also, it depends on how you like the consistency of your smoothie to be.)
Blend it all in your Vitamix or any other high speed blender that you have at home.
I love this smoothie as a breakfast. You can also put it on a shallow plate and make a smoothie bowl by adding your favorite granola and other ingredients.
Benefits of strawberries:
- lowers blood pressure
- antioxidants: full of Anthoxyanin which helps increase your uric acid levels and serves as an antioxidant agent
- anti-inflammatory: helps with osteoarthritis, asthma, atherosclerosis
- anti-cancer: rich in vitamin C, folate, quercetin, kaempferol
- healthy eyes: decreases the possibility of macular degeneration
- rich in magnesium
- great for your bones since it has potassium, vitamin K, and magnesium
Until next time! ?
Peach and mango season is in! I love these two fruits so much! They are sweet, colorful, and full of nutrients for our body. In this recipe I included both fruits. Also, I need to say that I did this randomly without knowing if it was going to come out tasty. It turned out to be delicious! My husband loved it!!!
- 2 peaches
- 1 ripe mango (I squeezed all the pulp out the mango, it was a bit messy, but I was ablle to get all the juice and pulp out)
- 3 big slices of pineapple
- coconut water to taste ( I used about 1 1/2 cup, you can keep pouring to your taste. Don’t forget it’s a smoothie)
Blend it all together in your high speed blender (I used the Vitamix), add ice to taste, and voile!
Benefits of mango:
- fights against colon, breast, leukemia, and prostate cancer (full of antioxidants)
- lowers cholesterol (high in pectin and vitamin C)
- clears the pores of skin
- great for healthy eyesight (rich in vitamin A)
- alkalizes the body
- promotes healthy sex (rich in vitamin E)
- improves digestion
- boosts the immune system (has great amount of vitamin C, vitamin A, and is very rich of carotenoids)
Benefits of peaches:
- rich in antioxidants such as lutein, zeaxanthin, beta-crytoxanthin
- helps to fight against hypo kalmia (rich in potassium)
- fights against cancer (rich in phenolic and carotenoid)
- promotes skin glow (rich in vitamin C)
- helps to protect against the effects of UV light (full of flavonoids)
- awesome for the eyesight (rich in beta-carotene)(has a great amount of vitamin C)
- wonderful for digestion (high amount of fiber)
- great for the nervous system helping to prevent anxiety and stress (full of magnesium)
I hope you enjoy this recipe just as much as my husband and I did! Take advantage of this great season and fill your fruit tray with these two amazing fruits. Your body, inside and out, will thank you greatly!
Until next time!
Are you ready to feel powerful on nice summer days? This smoothie is the perfect blend for a nice hot summer day, afternoon, or evening. I feel powerful when I replace one of my meals with a smoothie just because it’s full of nutrients, delicious, and it makes me feel energized.
The yellow and orange colors in fruits and vegetables are super rich in:
- vitamin C
These nutrients reduce age-related macula degeneration and the risk of prostate cancer, lower LDL cholesterol and blood pressure, promote collagen formation and healthy joints, fight harmful free radicals, encourage alkaline balance, and work with magnesium and calcium to build healthy bones.
There are so many yellow and orange colored fruits out there, but I only used 3 of these fruits in this recipe.
You will need:
- juice from 3 fresh squeezed oranges (fresh squeezed taste a lot better)
- 2 big chunks/slices of pineapple
- 4 slices of mango
- I also added a bit of coconut water just because coconut water is so refreshing, and full of nutrients too (You can add more OJ, or water if you don’t like coconut water)
- 2 chunks of ice to make it cool
Blend it all together in your high speed blender, and there you have it.
This amount can serve 2 people easily. But if you are looking to replace a meal, this is the perfect amount. It’s so delicious, so refreshing, so sweet, and you can make it in the comfort of your own home. Cannot wait for summer to come. This smoothie has got me getting summer sick!
Until next time!?☀️
Summer is almost here and so is watermelon! Funny thing is that growing up watermelon was not my favorite fruit until I found this recipe by Sam Melbourne on Instagram. The reason why I love it so much is because I love juicing or making smoothies and thought it was a great recipe to integrate with my other recipes. It’s so easy, super refreshing, and you’re only going to need 4 items which include:
- 800g-1kg of watermelon (if you buy the watermelon pre-cut it will show you the exact quantity in grams)
- 1 cup of frozen strawberries to make it cool ( I let mine freeze for 1 hour, but you can freeze it longer)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 handful of mint
Here are the directions:
- Blend everything in your high-speed blender.
Enjoy this wonderful smoothie before or after a workout, or even as an afternoon refresher. I also found that adding this wonderful fruit into my diet was full of benefits!
Here are a few benefits from watermelon:
- aides in digestion, which it helps you with regularity
- helps to prevent men from getting prostate cancer since is rich in Lycopene
- made of 92% water, say goodbye to dehydration
- reduces muscle soreness, so it is great if you enjoy your workouts at the gym
- high in vitamin A which will provide you with beautiful looking skin
Enjoy your Spring and Summer with this drink! I’ll sure will!
Until next time!
Papaya is one of my all-time favorite fruits. It can be found in any grocery store, breakfast place, and in the backyard! Yup! Last time I went to Brazil in 2013, my grandmother had her own papaya tree in her new backyard. Papaya is known for having wonderful effects in the digestive system. It is amazing for people that suffer constipation. The entire papaya is beneficial. Even the seeds. But in this recipe I did not add any of the seeds, otherwise, it would have turned out bitter. Usually, you remove the seeds and scoop or cut the skin off.
If you’ve never had papaya, the fruit is very sweet. The right time to eat the papaya is when you know it’s ripe. And how do you know? By feeling it. Usually, when you press the papaya, if it feels soft, you know it’s ripe. Another great way of finding out is when the skin is changing colors.
I love papaya smoothie! So for this recipe, I did a smoothie bowl with granola.
- 1/4 of a papaya (I bought a big papaya, so I cut it in 4 parts)
- 2 slices of mango
- 1 or 2 dates
- 16 oz of organic homemade coconut milk ( you can use the boxed kind as well or any kind of nut milk)
- 1 TBSP of chia seeds
- 1 TBSP of flaxseed
- 1 TBSP of raw organic coconut oil (you don’t have to add it, but I add coconut oil to all my smoothies since it’s great for fighting candida albicans, a kind of bacteria)
Blend all together in your high-speed blender.
Put it in a bowl, add your favorite granola (mine is from Trader Joes, vanilla flavored), mulberries, and last but not least blueberries (you can add your favorite berry or a mix of all berries).
Your breakfast, afternoon snack or even dinner is served. Super sweet, super delicious, and awesome for your gut.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Until next time. God bless!!!
One word: beetroot! I love beetroot! Such a wonderful vegetable. So sweet, and packed with antioxidants. Amazing for clear skin, and excellent to aid in bowel movement. Don’t be afraid though if you see some purple color on the toilet after having beet juice or even after eating beets. It’s absolutely normal. However, as much as I love beets for the great properties that it has, the juice is a bit too strong to have it all alone. So, I always add other fruits and vegetables to break the taste a little. Today, I followed a recipe that I found on Instagram that I decided to try. Sweet and tart at the same time, and yet very refreshing.
I used my Omega Juicer for this juice, but you can use any juicer you have available at home.
- 1 beetroot (peeled)
- 1 lemon (peeled)
- 2 oranges (peeled)
- 4 carrots
- 1 Granny Smith apple
Strain it if you don’t like the pulp. I do it since I like my juice real smooth.
Last but not least, add 2 cubes and voila!
Beetroot is rich in the following vitamins and minerals:
- folic acid
- vitamins C, A and B6
Hope you like it just as much as I do!
Until next time!